Monday, September 24, 2012

Hello Suburbia!

Summer is over... Waaahhhh!!!! *sob sob sob*

I flew from Chicago back to California yesterday. For the next few days I am staying in the charming suburb in which I grew up and my parents still live. This Bay Area town has changed quite a bit since I lived here. While it's always been a middle-class community, it now caters to a higher income level than I will ever likely achieve.

The charming and pleasant Diablo Valley
I blame Chicago for aiding in my gaining of 5 pounds over the summer. So many gatherings, festivals, food, and beer, beer, and more beer! So now that I'm headed back to LA where the pressure to be thin and "fit in" in Hollywood is so strong, I've decided that I need to get my ass back in gear.* I read something about the Bar Method and guess what?! There's a studio just 1.4 miles from my parents' place. Because it was so close, I chose to ride my bike. Just when I thought LA was the worst possible place ride a bike, I forgot to look at my sweet, happy, picturesque home town. I was actually shaking for the 10 minute ride being so nervous about the 6-lane roads and car-centric strip malls. I rode in the middle of the road for the most part. There was only one other biker that I saw and a pathetic attempt at bike infrastructure (sharrows, in my opinion, don't count). So, suburbia, you provided a great childhood, but only by car.
Luckily, Main Street isn't so bad.



*I actually have never felt pressure to be thin in LA, but it seems like that might be the case based on the US Weekly magazines that I read from the oversized mail drop in the hallway of my apartment building before my neighbor picks up her mail. However, I am now apart from my beloved manfriend (hence the earlier sobs) and must also be a super hot mama for the man without whose support I could never get through grad school.

1 comment:

  1. I bet your manfriend will appreciate the slender L.A. look or the deep fried midwest look.

    ReplyDelete