Monday, December 24, 2012

Curb Cuts Piss Me Off

Seriously, they do. Let me say that I am back in suburbia. As I drove down Mt. Diablo Boulevard after a run around the Lafayette Reservoir this morning, I noticed how the lovely suburb of Lafayette had really transformed its downtown since the last time I had driven through (maybe 7 or 8 years ago?).


Quaint, isn't it? For a mostly car-dependent place (there is a BART station a few long block away), Mt. Diablo is a very pleasantly-designed road. But another mile down the road, the road turns into this:

 

The landscaped center median disappears and the street widens. The pedestrians all but disappear. Granted, the intensity of the land use decreases significantly, but why not make the designed and landscaped commercial boulevard continuous to encourage better use of land, other than surface parking lots?  It's possible it was considered, but I believe that access is the biggest issue. Each and every business has its own driveway, some have two. Here's a map of all the curb cuts I identified. Curb cuts suck. Yes, they are a necessary evil, but they seriously piss me off. So, what's the solution?

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment