Friday, September 6, 2013

Gym Rat Due To Old Rental

I am guilty of being a gym rat. It's not that I don't love running and/or biking along the lakeshore (although all rollerbladers and double-wide strollers should be banned from multi-use paths, sidewalks, and just in general, but I digress), but the lakeshore path does not come with a slate-tile shower with plenty of water pressure and drains that actually drain.

This is where I live:
According to the Cook County Assessor's Office, it was built 88 years ago, or in in 1924. It's old. The bathroom shower drains, but ever so slowly. Not before water has risen to my ankles. When the water does finally filter through, because of it's slowness, it leaves a heavy, slimy residue of soap scum and dead skin cells. Yum!

The Atlantic Cities recently posted an article in rubuttal to the New York Times article about how renters do not make improvements to their property because they do not have the incentive as an owner. I would agree with the Atlantic Cities, because why would I want to make improvements to my rental (apartment or house) whose drain doesn't even work properly? (However, I have added some awesome shelving units mainly due to storage needs but I would say it's a vast improvement to the kitchen.)

And so, rather than having to deal with my drain issue, I instead go to the gym daily to shower. It also motivates me to work out while there, but the real point is a clean, functioning shower experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment